Saturday, March 11, 2017

My newsy heroes

Somehow, around last October I became obsessed with the news while sick with a head cold. I can literally pinpoint this particular time in my life as when I made that choice. Like 'A Clockwork Orange' 'when a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man.' Well, here was my chance to be a man.

I got totally wrapped up in the election and all of the bright shiny lights that it came with. What an intoxicating and toxic world.

I started a Facebook page called 'I hate Trump,' but recently changed the name to 'Resist.' This page seeks to document the whole affair and all its insanity in an effort to preserve my own. I also created a satiric page 'The Donald J. Trump Presidential Library and Museum' to feature the sorts of items we might expect to see in such a house of curiosities.

 I'd watched The Rachel Maddow Show in the past, but soon became addicted. Like a junkie in a Neil Young song, I'll watch the first half in real time and dvr the rest to enjoy at the end of my nights. I find like characteristics in Rachel's world view somewhat like my own. She goes after it like a pit bull and I can say that as a pit bull rescuer. People get pit bulls wrong when misusing this analogy. Pit bull is a good thing as in 'nevertheless, she persisted.'

My own mantra is 'Russia' and 'taxes.' This helps me keep my head wrapped around the whole Trump monstrosity. The Rachel Maddow Show dogs this same scent, 'Russia' and 'taxes' with side trails to stop and sniff, but to not be deterred too long. Just keeps the trip interesting, then back to the real thing, what is 'really' happening and not the bright and shiny sideshows the Trump machine waves in front of us like fake jobs numbers and children meeting the president. Rachel keeps us on track.

Before I watch Rachel, I am tuned into 'All In' with Chris Hayes. Chris is my kinda comedian.  There are evenings when I'm laughing so hard it hurts, the type Mary Tyler Moore at Chuckles the Clown's funeral laughing when your body squeals. He is one funny guy...a perfect lead in to the Rachel show.

I also enjoy the lead-in and comradery among the MSNBC guys. I kinda get that maybe the Chris's, Rachel and good old Last Word Lawrence might have very well been the loners, the geeks, in school. Like I was. Just a feeling I get, but a good one, a good feeling. It makes me feel good to imagine they're all friends of sorts. Comrades.

See where I'm going with this? People who seek the truth, smart people who make me laugh.

I have AM Joy Reid on record and she is never a let down. Joy is always fresh and truthful, a sojourner.

I like to follow Manu Raju and Jim Acosta on CNN. I really feel like these two are the epitome of the kind of reporting made famous by the Watergaters, Woodward and Bernstein. I watch Jim Acosta questioning the 'president' like a cartoon figure braving a blizzard. Trump is so rude and so full of shit, yet Mr. Acosta never loses composure. You can tell Manu and Jim respect the office. My own hat is off to them. I couldn't do that.

I like to read David Corn, but even more so, enjoy David on various forums. It's amazing to watch good investigative reporters like Corn, try to keep from laughing out loud.










No comments:

Post a Comment